BINDERY FINISHING COORDINATOR
Bindery / Finishing Supervisor (B/F Supervisor)
Reports to: Bindery Manager
It is the responsibility of the B/F Supervisor to assist the Bindery / Finishing Manager (B/F Manager) in ensuring the efficient day-to-day manufacturing operation of the company. As part of the management team, the B/F Supervisor participates in scheduling resources and direct coordination of the staff to ensure best practices in meeting and exceeding high standards in productivity and quality of work.
The B/F Supervisor must aim to maximize the organization’s operational growth and profitability while working with the B/F Manager in leading and managing all bindery and finishing production functions, including but not limited to, productive, accurate and consistent manufacturing process, quality assurance, repairs/maintenance, scheduling, shop floor data collection, and staffing.
- Assist in and oversee training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, and the maximizing productivity of employees.
- Communicate job expectations and details; planning, monitoring, reviewing jobs and related activities.
- Make sure that all directions and expectations are understood clearly and fully by all related associates.
- To manage material staging and location, job ticket details, accuracy, quantities, etc. for all the job components before assigning activities and transferring to the appropriate function and / or department.
- Confirm quality control checks throughout the processes.
- Confirm the accuracy of packaging and labels.
- Drive the highest levels of productivity by way of goal / expectation setting of minimal outputs (with units per hour reference).
- Will work closely with all functional areas as necessary to ensure that the production plan fulfills customers’ requirements in productivity and quality.
- Keep the necessary managers informed of any changes or urgencies in project requests or status that may be compromised.
- Communicate with department managers for shift priorities, including but not limited to; Prepress, Press, Digital, CSR, Bindery/Finishing, Fulfillment and warehouse.
- At the beginning of first and second shifts.
- Maintain auditing log from QC spot check.
- Identify opportunities for improved efficiencies and workflow best practices.
- Make sure all load tags and job jackets are with the appropriate product at all times.
- Make sure each job bag has 5 samples of the finished product (when appropriate).
- Assist team leads in keeping projects on approved schedule. (Offset and Digital).
- Daily email updates, to include but not limited to; “Job number”, “Project name”, “Status/Cost Center location”, “Next Cost Center date”, and “Ship date”.
- Attend morning production meeting and both daily Topps related meetings.
- Identify end-of-job overs/extras and/or tagged for destruction.
- Able and willing to work overtime hours, longer days and weekends when needed.
- Gain product knowledge as quickly as possible… many proprietary products and processes.
- Display well rounded knowledge and understanding or equipment and processes in our bindery and finishing operations.
- Strong communicator.
- Driven and focused in a way that promotes professional excellence.
- Sound basic math skills.
- Able to be on your feet most of the day.
- Able to lift up to 40-pound packages.
- Able to operate basic equipment – pallet jacks, scales.
- Become intimate with the Epace operating system, load tags, data collection, reading job tickets, schedules, PO's, and others.
- Bi-lingual (English / Spanish) is a plus.
- All other duties as so assigned.